What to Wear – Family:
- I recommend neutral colors for your session (browns, creams, etc) as these colors will not draw attention away from baby in your portraits.
- Long sleeved shirts with no patterns or logos are best for parents. Siblings can get away with short sleeves, but logos and bold patterns should still be avoided. Buttons, zippers, etc. on shirts should be avoided to protect baby’s skin.
- Skin-on-skin portraits are beautiful if you are comfortable with that. Mom should wear a strapless, nude bra if possible, and will be wrapped in neutral fabric. Dad and siblings can be shirtless, or girls can be wrapped like mom.
- It is also a good idea to bring an extra set of clothes for everyone just in case of an accident.
- I know that preparing for a portrait session can be stressful for everyone, but please remember that your baby can sense your anxiety, and the session will go much more smoothly if you remain calm and relaxed.
- Please do your best to keep your baby awake for 1-2 hours before arriving for your session, including during the car ride. I understand how difficult this is, but keeping baby awake for as long as possible before the session will help them sleep soundly during the session so we can get those sweet, sleepy newborn poses.
- Baby should be dressed in a loosely secured diaper and a zip-up or button-up outfit that does not have to go over their head. Please avoid socks, headbands or anything else that may leave indentations or marks on baby’s skin.
- When you arrive, please carry baby inside in the car seat. At this point, I will prepare baby for the session and then have you give your baby a full feeding. Please try to schedule your feedings so that baby is hungry when you arrive. A full belly will help put baby into a deep sleep for the session.
- Please be prepared to be quite warm during the session. In order to keep baby sleeping soundly, the room will be heated to at least 80 degrees and there will be space heaters running.
- It may take some time for me to get baby into a deep sleep, so please just sit back and relax while I do my thing. When newborns smell, or even hear, mom they often think it is time to wake up and eat. Along these lines, please bring a bottle (breastmilk or formula) and a pacifier as I will occasionally use these to help settle a fussy baby in the middle of a pose. This is only done as a last resort, but if you are completely against using bottles or pacifiers at this stage, please let me know.
- If baby is not able to be soothed to sleep, we will take a break for you to feed or soothe baby before proceeding with the session. I block out 3 hours for all newborn sessions, so there is plenty of time for breaks to keep baby happy.
- Babies photograph best in their natural state, and all poses will be done to preserve baby’s modesty. Wraps may be used for some images, so please think about colors that will work well in your home when you fill out your questionnaire and I choose wrap colors that will coordinate with your decor.
- Because baby will be undressed for the session, it is expected that we will encounter “accidents” along the way. This is completely normal, and I always keep wipes and towels ready for cleanups. All backdrops and wraps are washed after every session, so there is no need to worry.